The Fundamentals of Foil Highlighting
There are many different ways to foil, but they all begin with these essential steps.
Before You Begin
- Pre-cut and pre-fold aluminum foil. Use 4x5 pieces, or larger, depending on the length of the hair.
- Study your client's cut and style and discuss the dimensional effects desired.
- The client's hair must be brushed out and completely tangle-free.
- Take a Color Preview Strand Test.
- Do not apply mixture if skin is red or irritated or if Preview Strand Test shows any sign of breakage or damage.
- Map out where your foil wraps will be placed and comb the hair into working sections.
- Clip loose hair to allow for control during the foiling process.
- Mix the highlighting formula in a non-metallic bowl.
- Follow the weaving or slicing method of foil wrapping within the design you have mapped out.
Doing the Wrap