Relaxed Hair Solutions
Color fades on relaxed hair between retouches
Client’s relaxed hair loses hair color too quickly, due to hair’s porosity. Fading
hair color needs to be refreshed between retouches. Try Beautiful Collection semi-permanent
color or Jazzing sheer temporary hair color. Beautiful Collection and Jazzing do
not contain ammonia or peroxide and can be used immediately after a relaxer.
Fear of permanent hair color on relaxed hair
Many of your clients have relaxed hair and you want to offer them a permanent hair
color or lightening service, but myths about relaxers and permanent hair color hold
you back. There is no reason to hesitate if basic guidelines are followed.
Always wait one week and one shampoo after a relaxer service before applying permanent
hair color. This ensures that there is no scalp sensitivity or discomfort for the
client. Evaluate the porosity and elasticity of the hair. If the hair shows signs
of breakage, permanent hair color is not recommended.
To choose the correct volume of developer for relaxed hair, use the following guide:
- to match, deepen, deposit hair color: 10 volume
- to lighten (see #4 below): 20 volume
- to cover gray (less than 30% gray): 10 volume
- to cover gray (more than 30% gray): 20 volume
Relaxed hair usually requires less processing time. (Generally, 20 to 30 minutes
versus the 30 to 45 minutes required for non-relaxed hair.) Strand test frequently
to determine accurate color results.
Neutralizing an off-tone after relaxer
If your client’s hair color has a "greenish" haze after a relaxer service, a semi-permanent
hair color (like Beautiful Collection) in a warm tone will safely neutralize any
off-tones that appear after relaxing. Its conditioning formula will also moisturize
and soften the hair.
Finish the relaxer service by thoroughly rinsing out the neutralizing shampoo and
gently towel-blotting hair.
Select a Beautiful Collection shade with a Red, Red-Orange or Red-Gold base:
- B15W Dark Warm Brown
- B13W Medium Warm Brown
- B09W Light Reddish Brown
- B17W Rosewood Brown
- B14W Cedar-Red Brown
- Apply color directly from the bottle, gently and evenly.
- Process up to 25 minutes. Heat is NOT recommended immediately after any chemical
- Check every 5 minutes for desired color results.
- Rinse well. Do not shampoo.
Relaxed, color-treated hair appears dull and dry
Hair that is relaxed and permanently colored often appears dull and dry.
Clients with both relaxed and color-treated hair need moisture replenishment. By
providing personalized, intense consultation for each client, you can educate them
on the importance of proper hair maintenance.
Here are a few important topics you should discuss:
- Always reinforce that they wait at least one week between chemical services.
- Recommend an ultra-moisturizing shampoo to help restore hair’s healthy moisture
balance, improve elasticity, and add shine.
- Deep conditioning is a must to fortify dull, lackluster hair.
- Tailor your consultation for each dual-service client and you’ll see the difference
- Create a specific and individual treatment plan for each client.
Adding sheen to relaxed hair
Your client is unhappy because her hair appears dull and the color looks faded after
a relaxer treatment.
Restore color vibrancy and shine to relaxed hair with Beautiful Collection semi-permanent,
a gentle, no-peroxide, no-ammonia hair color. You can use it immediately after every
Apply the entire contents of a 3 oz. bottle of your selected Beautiful Collection
shade to shampooed, towel-dried hair. Process for 25 minutes at room temperature.
After processing is complete, rinse well (do not shampoo) and condition if necessary.
See More FAQs & Hair Color Solutions: